Friday, May 14, 2010

$20 Groceries!

Recently Jillina has been inspiring me to be thinking smart about money with her 'You're Nifty if You're Thrifty' posts. Mum's told me that the local PCYC gives out food parcels for $20 with food they're given, to raise money. I finally took her advice and called last week, and found out they've moved. I called and got the details, and yesterday I finally went. Here's what I got:

I am sooo in love with this place!! The size of the picture doesn't do the food justice - click on it and blow it up lol. First I went around and looked at all the food you can buy individually. The massive can of pineapple pieces you can see back right was $2 - for 3kgs!! I got 2 of them. The smaller cans (which are usually the 'big' cans - 850g) are 6 for $4, when they're usually $4-ish each at the shops!!! Great for food storage!! They also had massive beetroot tins, cheap yummy icecream (cookies & cream), frozen lasanges, and a bunch more. Oh and they sell clothes and stuff too - there's an op shop section.

I got some cans and the bottle of juice, then when I was at the counter a lady came and asked me if I'd like to look at the $20 food parcels. I said okay, and she showed me, and aside from most of the cans and 1 of the bottles of juice, that's what I got for $20!!! You can't even see all the fruit and veg in the box but there's HEAPS - this morning I'm making about 5 batches of banana cake to freeze, because we got about a kazillion bananas, and a million potatoes (oh - you can get as many potatoes as you want, for free! - there's a massive bucket out front!) plus lettuce, onions, something green I keep forgetting the name of but Mum said to just steam it, apples, etc. Then there's the cold stuff - the margarines and cream and yoghurt (you can't see them all, but we got a box of 10 yoghurts), plus extras, chips, noodles, lamingtons, biscuits, juice, pantry items like coconut, stock cubes, ricebubbles, oats, salad dressings, simmer sauces, oh, a cheese platter (yum, and usually $10 all on its own in the shops!), garlic bread, even some Betty Baxter meal replacements and moisturiser samples lol. You don't get to choose what you get, but if you're happy to be flexible, it's very worth it! What they have changes every week depending on what they get.

The place is run by a local church, and it's not just for people who are desperate. They are given the food, and are making money off it to give to the church or whatever, so they're happy for anyone to go!

If you're a local and you're interested in the address, ph # and opening hours let me know. I will be going every week :)

12 comments:

Abby said...

Oh I should probably mention - some of the stuff was close to its use by date. Definitely okay, but be prepared to use some asap :)

Christy Franklin said...

WOW! I would love to know where to get this! We are trying desperately to cut back on spending to visit with my husbands family back in the USA at the end of this year..

Maioha said...

Oh I'd love to know this place! Please share the details!

Abby said...

Oh that was quick lol.

Okay it's open 10am-2pm, Tuesday to Thursday, and on Saturdays from 9:30-11:30am.

It's at 17-19 Monte-Khoury Drive, Loganholme.

Happy Grocery-ing!! :)

You girls should check out Jillina's blog for more good $$ saving ideas too - she's great!

Maioha said...

Thanks Abby! I'm going tomorrow!

Christy Franklin said...

oi Maioha.. we should go together.. save on petrol too!! haha

Just ME said...

Oh thankyou!!!

Can I say that you have the most captivating writing style - all you Munro children seem to have inherited it! I've been lurking reading your blog..... congrats on little Maggie. I think this place is definitely worth the drive! Thanks so much.

Jess said...

Looks great Abby! Glad you found a little gem and willing to share. Can't wait to see you guys again :)

Jillina Whittaker said...

Thanks Abby, great work on finding a bargain for your family. And thanks for sharing the news. Hope you dont mind me posting this on my blog later.

Sandy M. said...

It's called choko :)
YOU are a very clever little housewife! :) It looks like you are going to save a lot of money, so well done! :)

xo

Tammy Lorna said...

Wait, the chokos are YOUR fault?! haha! That's funny. I've been wondering where they've come from. Mum's been trying to find someone to give them to, and everyone keeps saying no! :)

You'll ahve to ask me later to tell you what DAD thinks of Chokos..... hahahahaha!

xo Tammy

PS. If my diet LET me eat most of that food, I'd totally be there too :)

Abby said...

Wrong chokos Tammy!! I kept mine - yours are from Micky adn Bec lol.