I have perfected the art of...???
I have perfect the art of nothing, so far.
I have always loved doing EVERYTHING!! I guess I'm decent at some things, okay at some things, really not so great at others, but I really like participating in all things :)
My fabulous husband focused on sports. Within sports, he focused on basketball. I loved playing basketball in high school. My teacher said I had a lot of 'heart' - she wanted everyone to have 'heart' like me when they played. She probably wished I had more 'skill'!! :) I rocked up to training, and rocked up to the games, and gave it all I had, and had a blast, but the minute I was off the court I was probably thinking about the next thing I was going to do or play. But James had skill and heart, and focus. He really studied basketball. He still does. He knows and understands all the technique, different plays, and a bunch of other different parts to the sport it would never have occurred to me to think of. It makes me laugh, because I always thought things in basketball just 'happened' - are you understanding how awesome I am at it?? :) Lately I watch James planning 'plays' and trainings for the teams he coaches (seriously, training isn't just a bunch of fun drills randomly selected?? I feel a little bit sorry for the girls I coached when I was teaching!!) and it occurs to me that I don't know anything that well! I guess viola'd be the closest to it, but I never really worked at it that much! - I was blessed with fabulous supportive parents, and an amazingly wonderful, passionate violin/viola teacher, and I played a lot with different strings groups and orchestras and practised on the odd occasion between dance company and choir. I did music as a subject in school, and had played the piano a little when I was younger too - so I get musical theory - but not every part of it, because I only did what I had to to get by, really! I guess I never really tried hard enough to be perfect at anything. Oh maybe dancing - I loved dancing, and I would work really hard at getting that right I guess, but it was really fun! I used to do gymnastics when I was younger, but then they wanted me to train like, morning and night and during school days sometimes too to see if I was good enough to go anywhere with it - eek! I abruptly stopped going.
On the upside, in my vast, totally unfocused experience...
- I play the viola quite decently
- I can play the piano a little
- I can even play the violin and cello a little! - I know music pretty well.
- I can play most sports okay - as in I know the rules, but I've mostly played basketball, volleyball, and netball the most - not brilliant at anything. In fact, the only thing I ever made reps for was cross country, and I never took up training because it was quite apparent that I couldn't quite fit it in. And running for miles on end seemed a little bland..
- I dabble in painting and other craft :)
- I can tap dance a little, know a little ballet and jazz, definite focus on musical theatre dance and hip hop
- I can sing in a choir, okay - read music and all that jazz. I do alto or soprano! - see? No focus! :p
- I can debate! :) - but it's been a while :)
- I love literature, and have half written bits of story and poem all over the place. Nothing finished :)
- I usually make a great dinner, OR a great dessert :)
And so it goes... :)
Lately I wonder what it would be like to be an expert at something. Like, really, really good at it. Know everything about it, study it, love it. Except that when I spend too much time on any one thing I tend to get over it and want to go cold turkey! :S My mum's managed to be an expert at a lot of things - she can be incredibly focused (and really good at multitasking - interesting combination..).
Is there like, a cure for me?? Is anyone else out there like me??!! Or are you all fabulously focused and expert at something. What are you expert at??!!!! Was it fun to get there?! Is it fun now??!!
James loves really getting stuck into something and learning every single thing about it, but I want to yawn just talking about it! Is it a boy thing?? Or do I need to just grow up and choose something?!! I would love to hear what you're fabulous at!!