Thursday, May 14, 2009

Ode to Netball...


Growing up here in an Australian school, netball was hard not to play,
I played from a young age, continued through highschool and that's where till now, it stayed.
Volleyball and basketball were also on the cards, but netball was probably my best,
Basketball's easier to play casually, so I really gave netball a rest.
This year I joined a mixed touch football team, 'Slim Pickings' our proud team name,
I wrote about it a few weeks ago, said I'd update you after the first game,
But it was so bad, I felt so very dumb, I wanted to quit right away,
There's a kid from my school and my dad on the team, whose yells threaten to keep me at bay.
"Who the heck is that number 3 there? RUN UP RUN UP 3, NO! NOW RUN BACK!!!"
I couldn't figure out which direction to go, which was the up or back that I lacked.
And then last game I mixed up the times and arrived as my players walked off the field,
They seemed a little grumpy, I wonder if shame is all my turn on this footy team will yield.
Last night I was called by a friend who needed a player on her netball team,
I knew I'd be worse for not playing 6 years, but was eager and bursting at the seams,
The time drew close, I got pretty nervous, I drank water and cut my nails short,
I've been making a fool of myself on the field, hopefully I'd be better on the court.
They needed a center and a goalkeeper too, I used to play center a lot,
But I jumped in goal keeper so I could watch the game and remember the rules I've forgot.
3 seconds in saw me standing in eagerness at the third line which marked my prison,
As soon as my first touch of the ball in defence all my sleeping autopilot knowledge had risen.
After first quarter I was bucking to get out of my third, I gratefully swapped out of keeper,
And jumped on as center much to my delight, then quickly found the skills needed much steeper!
I switched again to GA for the last half of the game - my shooting has not yet awoken,
Actually that's an understatement - that part of me actually seems to be broken.
But I love the game, the whistle, the court, constantly being told to 'stand aside',
The defence player trying to trap me out of play, secretly jabbing me in the side,
The fact that when I shoot the players stand three feet away,
Intercepts, center passes, rebounds and sprints, it's the game I most love to play.
And whenever I did something not completely stupid, I could almost hear in my head,
My dad yelling 'THAT'S MY GIRL!!', as he used to, but all I could hear instead,
Was James who'd come along and joined the husbands who are on his rugby team, cheering,
And they shouted so enthusiastically for their wives that they received a preliminary warning.
They only have 2 more games this season but are down 2 players next week,
So I'll probably get another chance to enjoy a game in which I feel less like a geek.
And next year when 'Slim Pickings' starts picking up, and getting ready for the season,
I WILL SAY NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! And hopefully play netball somewhere. Bethy? Tammy? Mama? Jessima? Anyone? :) xo

4 comments:

Sandy M. said...

Abby, one of my funnest memories ever is of watching (and wildly cheering) you in that netball championship game you STARRED in! I LOVED watching you play netball - you were so amazingly good that it was hard for me to imagine anyone better!! The way you would fly through the air from no-where and intercept the ball, time and again - and the way you ALWAYS managed to wriggle around and catch the pass under the basket, even when you always had girls like giants trying to stop you - and the way that you just popped those balls up and into the ring 99% of the time!
Magic!! :)
I'm glad you are doing it again :)
xo

Abby said...

Mum I love you. I'm really not that good! Maybe we need to go to a professional netball game sometime, so that you can what it CAN look like! I do love it though, despite that my shooting average has reversed and I get it in now only 1% of the time! :) xo

Sandy M. said...

Ha! All you need is a bit of practice, because the skills are all there! (They wish they could make it look like you do!)
I stand by every word :)!
xxoo

Tammy Lorna said...

"Growing up here in an Australian school, netball was hard not to play"

It's true. I've always been incredibly good at hard things.

Can I say that I've never, in my whole life played netball?! Does that make me completely un-australian?!

I thought it was cute that you put my name in at the end of the post... hahahaha!

xo Tammy