Sunday, October 9, 2011

'Children' (AKA I Love Conference!! :))

Just a quick quote I love so far from one of this years General Conference talks :) It's actually partly a quote from a Christian mother from another faith from her blog, but this is a paragraph from the talk given by Elder Neil L. Anderson called 'Children' in the Saturday Afternoon Session - I loved it. You can find it here.

"Many voices in the world today marginalize the importance of having children or suggest delaying or limiting children in a family. My daughters recently referred me to a blog written by a Christian mother (not of our faith) with five children. She commented: “[Growing] up in this culture, it is very hard to get a biblical perspective on motherhood. … Children rank way below college. Below world travel for sure. Below the ability to go out at night at your leisure. Below honing your body at the gym. Below any job you may have or hope to get.” She then adds: “Motherhood is not a hobby, it is a calling. You do not collect children because you find them cuter than stamps. It is not something to do if you can squeeze the time in. It is what God gave you time for.”7"

I really like that last bit :)

I always enjoy going up to the chapel with my family to watch conference, but yesterday we actually came home for the second session so the girls (who were kind of crazy) could go to sleep and cause I wasn't feeling too smashing (hold the cards and flowers, I'm fine now :) And no, not at all pregnant), and I really, really enjoyed watching it at home with James, not worrying about the girls disturbing the general peace!! In fact I liked it so much that we're going to watch this morning's session at home again while the girls nap, and then just go up to the chapel for this afternoon's session :)

If you haven't yet, I highly recomment watching/reading/listening to some - it has been really wonderful :)

4 comments:

Jess said...

Jonny and I both liked that quote a lot too. His whole talk was awesome.

Isn't general conference the best???

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow night, favourite aunty Abby ;)

Love Jessima

Sandy M. said...

Wasn't that talk great!? :) I really liked the last line you quoted too - puts things in their proper place, doesn't it?! :)
(Tam and I just got home. We listened to conference all the way but made quite good time, so I'll be able to watch some more tonight while Dad's out :)
I love conference! I'm so glad you could both enjoy all the sessions with the girls - at home or at the chapel :)
xoxo

Sandy M. said...

ps HAPPY BIRTHDAY ABBY!!!! :D
xoxoxoxo

Bec said...

Yes, General Conference was wonderful!! There was a slight technical glitch at our chapel this morning which meant we only had audio for the first half of the morning session, but they were able to work it out after a little bit :)

Its always such a spiritually uplifting experience to watch General Conference - especially at the chapel surrounded by others of our faith - but Im sure its MUCH more convenient to watch/listen to it at home with restless little ones :)